Read the Printed Word!

Friday, August 10, 2012

Visiting a Corbu

I share with you shots from my recent visit to "Unité d'Habitation" by Le Corbusier in Marseille, France. Also known as "Cité Radieuse".
I had mixed feelings about the building.  On the positive, I appreciated his efforts to create a mixed-use city on itself, a concept very ahead of its time.  I applaud his daring decision to keep the concrete exposed, and I enjoyed experiencing how the interiors receive beautiful shadows from the brise-soleil. But aside from that I felt that the building emanated an eerie sadness. It felt cold to another level!  I actually felt glad that only 1 building ended up being constructed out of the 3 originally planned.
Nevertheless, the visit was a great learning experience, and it was fun snapping photographs of its playful primary colors and shapes.













photography by Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters